So you get have the “blue screen” or “blue screen of death”…what do you do now?
You need to first narrow down the cause by following these steps and go from there.
- Restart the computer and see if the problems reoccurs.
- Did you just plug in a piece of equipment? If so disconnect it and try it again.
- Turn off the computer and unplug all the cables to the computer. Leave just the monitor connected and turn on the system.
- Plug your mouse and keyboard in and see if the blue screen comes back. If it blue screens, it’s more than likely your mouse or USB port. If the end of your mouse has a circular end, it’s probably not the issue. If it has a 1/2″ thin metal end, it’s a USB mouse and could be the issue. Try another mouse if you have one.
- If your computer works fine again, then test your other USB peripherals (camera, webcam, printer, etc). If it bluescreens when you plug in a certain piece of equipment then the issue is related to that item.
- If you are still having issues then it could be software, hard drive or motherboard issue and you will need to either investigate. A full operating system format and reinstall may be needed but get some professional advice first.